This tutor position will provide academic assistance services to Club members, including tutoring students in specific academic areas related to their core curriculum and/or assisting students with their homework assignments during the after school program. We are looking for strong, experienced teachers with the skills to help Club members significantly improve their grades over the course of the school year. Successful candidates must also be able to adapt to the fast-paced, flexible nature of the Club setting (i.e. fluctuating student attendance and schedules) and be able to document their work to meet grant funding requirements. The ideal candidate will have experience helping students who are performing below grade level meet benchmarks.
The tutor will be under the supervision of the Director of Club Services. Position is part time: up to 20 hours/week, 5 days/week between the hours of 3-6pm, August-May.
Wage: $20-$25 per hour.
- Assess students’ reading, math, and science skills vs. grade level benchmarks to make selections for tutoring
- Hold conferences with parents to go over tutoring program expectations and obtain signed consent
- Create an academic plan and road map for each student.
- Tutor students on core skills in 1-on-1 and/or small groups
- Act as an academic case manager for a roster of students, checking their academic progress and meeting with them weekly to resolve issues and remove barriers to their academic success
- Check Parent Portal weekly for each student on roster
- Assist with integrating core-curriculum concepts into tutoring component
- Manage groups of students to make efficient use of time
- Communicate regularly with youth development coordinators, parents and teachers on each student’s progress and needs
- Help prepare students for the TNReady and other state testing
- Facilitate student work in software programs that drill core skills
- Motivate and inspire students to work hard in tutoring through creative incentive strategies; help plan quarterly academic celebrations
- Ensure student safety and accountability
- Keep accurate records and collect data on students according to grant requirements, including daily logs of session time, teacher/parent/Club staff communications, etc.
- Be prepared to attend staff meetings on an as needed basis
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required: Applicant must possess a BA Degree in Education or related field with a teaching certificate. Must have work experience in a school setting working with children who have diverse backgrounds and a proven ability to help students achieve academic success.
Interested candidates should email their resume to Director of Club Services Brady Hargrove at firstname.lastname@example.org.